College of the Mainland
Grant Development Specialist
Institutional Advancement and COM Foundation
This position works closely with Director of COM Foundation and Institutional Advancement to coordinate requests for funding from government and private sources. The person in this position becomes familiar with college priorities and researches external funding opportunities to meet those priorities through the preparation and submission of funding requests and grant proposals.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Work to identify grants for which COM could apply to achieve goals of the college.
- Collaborate in the development of short and long term grants agendas to meet the institutional needs.
- Communicate with funding agencies and program officers.
- Collaborate in the development of processes and systems that promote development, funding and management of grant programs.
- Initiate and encourage active participation by faculty and staff in grant projects.
- Write and submit institutional grant proposals and provide expertise and direction to others in writing departmental and program grants to ensure accuracy, completeness and timely submission.
- Serve on internal and external committees to facilitate effective grant programs and develop strategic collaborative partnerships.
- Initiate required registrations, assurances and approvals.
- Interpret and communicate pre and post funding information.
- Coordinate internal and external communication on grant programs and activities of the college. Act as information resource for funded grants.
- Provide training on proposal writing, funding sources and grants administration.
- Work closely with the Grants Accountant to ensure the timely submission of interim and final grant reports, as well as compliance with regulations.
- Monitor and interpret regulations to ensure regulatory compliance; inform and advise administration of regulatory mandates and liabilities.
- Work in partnership with the COM Foundation on special projects to further COM’s overall resource development plan and goals.
- Supervise administrative assistant and student workers as needed.
Training and Experience:
Required: Bachelor’s Degree. Two years experience with successful grant proposal writing being a major component of the job. Evidence of a successful funding track record. Experience in identifying grants that align with the college’s goals. Experience in reading, comprehending and following grant application guidelines. Proficiency in MS Office, Word, navigating the internet, corresponding via e-mail, and submitting grants via grants.gov.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in English, journalism, education or business. Work experience as a grant writer in a higher education institution. Will consider experienced grant consultants.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to write project proposals aimed at meeting the educational needs of students in a wide range of academic and workforce programs
- Demonstrated skill in planning, organizing, drafting, and editing written documents
- Demonstrated skill in scheduling, prioritizing, and finalizing activities to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated skill in word processing
- Demonstrated skill in budget development
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Maintain database systems
- Conducting research
- Submitting proposals via the internet
- Innovative thinking
- Public speaking
Positions in this class typically require: stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Minimum Salary Range: $47,085
Mid Point Salary Range: $61,434
Maximum Salary Range: $73,356
To apply, please visit: http://jobs.com.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=50672