Barstow Community College District
Barstow Community College Trustees invite nominations and applications for the position of District President/ Superintendent to be filled prior to July 1, 2013, or as soon thereafter as possible. The Barstow Community College District announces a national search to obtain a visionary, energetic successor with the experience, work ethic, and academic credentials to assume our commitment to excellence in student learning and success. The successful candidate will be a person of high personal standards and professional integrity who can articulate the district and board’s aspirations, plans, and actions with clarity and confidence.
Candidates should have a record of outstanding competence as reflected in accomplishments with strategic planning and management, construction, academic and student services program development, enrollment management, team building, financial oversight, labor contract negotiations, performance accountability, and accreditation. The successful candidate will be committed to gender, racial, and cultural diversity in all aspects of college life and maintain a student-centered approach to learning.
Qualifications include an earned Masters, doctorate preferred, from a regionally accredited institution. A minimum of three years of successful senior-level administrative experience in higher education, preferably in community college. Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching and learning processes at the college level. Higher education teaching or counseling experience preferred. A strong record of community service and involvement. An understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to California Community College System preferred.
Leadership Opportunities & Challenges
The college community is looking for a visionary leader who is effective in building team leadership among the college constituencies and can take the college to the next level. In addition, possess these essential characteristics and qualities:
- Values the role the community college plays in life- long education and is a proponent of workforce and economic development training by working with community agencies, organizations, business, and industry.
- Is able to implement and maintain effective customized training, career technical education, and community-service programs.
- Supports federal and state legislation and represents the college with the state community college chancellor’s office.
- Supports collegial consultation among all constituencies and maintains open communication on campus and in the community regarding the success of the college in meeting the mission, values and goals, and yet can make timely and effective decisions.
- Has ability to manage oversight and accountability for $30 million of capital construction projects scheduled currently under way.
- Expand Barstow Community College Foundation’s vision and scope in preparation for major gift campaigns.
- Can provide leadership to the Board of Trustees by assisting in the review of policies and procedures to ensure that policies reflect practice and support the standards of accreditation.
- Thoroughly understands negotiations with collective bargaining groups with empathy towards their needs and concerns.
- Can provide responsible fiscal management providing for a prudent district budget reserve (over 15%).
- Ability to nurture established partnership with the military which represent a significant portion of the student population.
Salary & Benefits
Salary and a comprehensive benefits package are competitive. Housing and cost of living in the Mojave region are reasonable.
Nominations and applications will be received until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to submit a complete application prior to February 28, 2013. The Presidential Screening Committee will begin its review of applications after this date. The position is open until filled.
Please submit the following four items:
- A letter of application (not to exceed 5 pages) that succinctly addresses how your experience and professional skills fit the characteristics and qualifications for the position and prepare you to capitalize on the essential characteristics and qualities outlined under “Leadership Opportunities and Challenges.”
- A current resume including an e-mail address, office and home telephone numbers
- A copy of unofficial college transcripts.
- A separate reference list with the names, home and
business telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of eight references: three supervisors (including one board member), two supervised employees, two faculty members from current or former institutions, and one community or business leader. References will not be contacted without applicants prior knowledge.
- Barstow Community College employment application (available online at http://www.barstow.edu/jobs/admin.asp and the California Community College Registry at www.cccregistry.com)
Send application materials to:
Presidential Screening Committee
Barstow Community College
2700 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Direct Inquiries to:
James Walker, Ed.D.