An updated version of the Casey Family Programs publication, Supporting Success: Improving Higher Education Outcomes for Students from Foster Care (Version 2.0), is now available for download. Free hard copies are also available via the link.
Version 2.0 provides updated information on exemplary programs, state system efforts, and policy advances (especially HEOA and the Fostering Connections Act) that should be welcome by those working to improve higher education access and success for students coming from foster care.
Updates in version 2.0 of Supporting Success include:
- How the reauthorized Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and the Fostering Connections Act increase higher education opportunities for students from foster care. (see appendix A, pp.65-68)
- New and updated profiles of outstanding support approaches at community and four year colleges (see Chapter 5, pp. 44-60)
- Information on how several state higher education and child welfare systems are working together to establish improved support services statewide (see page 43)
- Additional articles and resources (see Appendix D, pp. 93-96)
- All URLs have been reviewed and made active
- A detailed update of the California Community College Chancellor's Office FYSI (Foster Youth Success Initiative) can be found on pp. 44-45.
Also, a new guide for securing maximum financial aid for 'independent' students who were in foster care or homeless is available from Casey Family Programs, Providing Effective Financial Aid Assistance to Students from Foster Care and Unaccompanied Homeless Youth: A Key to Higher Education Access and Success. It includes a section on effective communications with college students from foster care.
For additional information or assistance, contact:
Postsecondary Education Advisor
Casey Family Programs